Well, here we are at the last month of the decade. O.o I meant to have this up yesterday of course, but between this cold I have and the Christmas party we went to last night I wasn’t able to finish it in time. I also was planning to post a reading update on Saturday, but since I’m planning to update in you this anyway and Saturday I was really not feeling well, I decide to skip it.
I feel like I’ve read a little more this month than I have in the past few, though it might be because I DNF’d a couple. XD Oh well, let’s see how November went!
November Reading Stats:
- Read During November: 6
- Finished This Month: 4
- Total Pages Read (not including audiobooks): 1,078
- Average Rating: 3
I actually really loved Heartless! The writing, characters and worldbuilding was just SO good, though I was a tiny bit disappointed with the ending, but I knew it wouldn’t be a happy ending anyway. XD
Sadly I DNF’d Cinderella’s Dress which was a little disappointing. I tried to stick with it but I was just kind of bored. I also didn’t like the sexist romantic interest and I just couldn’t keep myself interested enough in it to finish it, so I gave up and unhauled it.
I listened to the audiobook of My Plain Jane as I read along with my copy to help me get through it quickly, since it was my book club book of the month and I didn’t start it until like the 20th. 😛 I really really liked it, though sadly not as much as My Lady Jane, so I gave it 4 stars. I do think it was a huge improvement on the original Jane Eyre though. XD I know it’s a classic, but I challenged (*cough* forced) myself to get through it last year and I…just didn’t like it that much. At least not the romance, which was basically most of it. XD But I LOVED how this twisted everything and it just made it so much better, while still respecting the original work. I liked how the author was actually a character in this, and HELEN! HELEN WAS THE BEEEEEEST!!!!!!! Keeping her in throughout the whole book as a sassy ghost that follows Jane around and comments on everything that’s wrong with Mr. Rochester was my favorite thing about it! XD
Ugh. I tried to get through this, I really did. I know it’s a well-loved series, but I tried twice to listen to it on audiobook and only got 10% through it. I think the worldbuilding or something was just too dark for me, and I just couldn’t get myself to care about the plot or characters and I realized that it just wasn’t for me and I just couldn’t make myself finish it.
Still Currently Reading:
I’m SO close to finishing The Heir, I think I only have like 65 pages left? I wanted to finish it yesterday after I got this post done, but I was slow and sick and we had the Christmas party to go to and I just didn’t have time to do either. XD
I’m halfway through Dark Tide but really enjoying it! I keep forgetting how much I actually love this series. It’s always better than I expect and the twists and political drama is so good!
I’m hoping to get these both done this week so I can start my December books and hopefully finish them before the end of the year!
Posts This Month:
- October Wrap Up + November Goals!
- Spark Tour/Giveaway: Interview With Allison Beery!
- WIP Update #5
- Top Ten Tuesday-Favorite Bookmarks
- October Recently Read Update
- Top Ten Tuesday-Changes in my Reading Life + Special Announcement!
- December Book Club Theme Announcement
- The End of the Year Book Tag!
- Became a host for Bookending Winter! 😀
- I’m only one away from 70 followers!
- I got to interview my friend Allison and be a host for her blog tour! ❤
- Got two colds two different times. D:
- Got to usher for a stage version of White Christmas that my friend, Sarah was the Choreographer for. I liked it a lot better than the movie actually, and since it was opening night they had this pretty cake there for everyone!
- I signed up for my 2nd year of Broke and Bookish Secret Santa! I’m a little more mellow about it this year I think. XD I’ve already gotten all my gifts to send but I haven’t wrapped them yet, and I’ve only taken a couple of pics to hint with on twitter. Last year I got way too excited and did a whole a post on it on my old blog. I think in January I’ll share pics of what I got them, but I want to wait cuz I did it a little too early last time. XD
- I SAW FROZEN 2 WITH MY FRIENDS! I laughed. I cried. A lot. It gave me an existential crisis. It was a great time. 😀 Excuse me while I go listen to Into the Unknown and Show Yourself a million times and cry some more. XD
- I’m also really loving Idina Menzel’s Christmas Album?! She has a collab with Josh Gad on it and it’s SO CUTE!!!!! It’s like Elsa and Olaf are singing Christmas songs to me!!!! 😀 ❤ Which is also ironic cuz they’re actually both Jewish IRL apparently? XD XD
- Already got most of my Christmas shopping done, at least for online friends. XD I just need a couple more for IRL friends and my mom. Why does it suddenly feel easier to shop for people you don’t know than people you do??? XD
- Been watching a ton of stuff on Disney+ and Netflix! I don’t care what anyone says, A Knight Before Christmas is great! XD And I’ve been loving rewatching Good Luck Charlie, old Disney Channel movies, and watching the newer movies I haven’t seen like the 2019 Dumbo and Raven’s Home on Disney+. Raven’s Home is so hard not to binge. XD I grew up with That So Raven and I’ve always wanted to watch the spin off when I heard it came out but I couldn’t until I got Disney+, so I’m happy. 😛 Also I really love the originals like the 2019 Lady and the Tramp, Encore, and Noelle! My mom has a profile on my account and is obsessed with The Mandalorian too cuz she likes Star Wars. XD
- Didn’t really do much on Thanksgiving except watch the parade. Though I made a delicious Reese’s/brownie flavored trifle for a Friendsgiving dinner the Tuesday before. Everyone loved it and it was completely gone before the night was over, and I couldn’t even bring any leftovers back to my mom that she wanted to try. :,D
- I decorated my room for Christmas! 😀 I’ll show a tour of my decorations next week for one of my Bookending Winter posts!
- Went to a Christmas market festival thing and got a couple gifts. I also tried chicken and waffles from a food truck there. That sounds like such a foreign and weird combination to my northern brain, but the cooks definitely knew what they were doing cuz those chicken strips were the best I’d probably EVER had! 😛
- Got to help organize and prep the shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child to send like I did last year, which is always fun.
I only wrote like 3 times all month, but the times I did, I did them at my local Nanowrimo write in! I’d never been able to go to one before, and even though I didn’t officially do Nano I’m really glad I went. It was nice to write with actual people in real life. XD I really needed to be involved in something like that. I even won stickers in a word sprint competition which was really fun! 😛
So far my total word count in my WIP is 71,976, which is 1,854 words I’ve written this month. I wish I had time to be able to finish my WIP this month, but that’s better than nothing I guess.
I had a hard time deciding to go with the string of lights theme inspired by this, or a snow globe theme. I really wanted to do the snow globe, but I would’ve wanted to do a lot more detail with that and since I’m so busy I went with this instead because it’s simpler. It’s a little messy, but I love my glitter gel pens that I used for the “Merry & Bright” and the lights. I also added little holly stickers to fill the blank spaces in the top corners, and this gorgeous gold washi tape that Allison sent me for the bottom. 😀
For my TBR page I painted these watercolor branches and ornament inspired by this! It’s supposed to look marbled, which was a little hard to figure out how to make look nice, and I kinda wish I didn’t make the pink on the right so dark, but overall I think I did a good job. The doodles around my title font look horrible though, I had no idea what I was doing. XD
I think this turned out okay, but I wish I made the ornaments a little bigger cuz I can barely see the numbers, and the gel pens I used for the detailing on my font smeared everywhere. I tried to make the snow in the top left corner look like this, XD and the whole page was inspired by this.
When I was out shopping at my local bookstore for gifts for other people, I couldn’t help getting these for myself. They were both used and because I had just donated some more books I was able to use my rewards credit for them and get them both for free!
The Smell of Other People’s Houses I’ve had on my TBR for a few years because it’s set here in Alaska in the 70’s I think, and the author also grew up here. It sounds like something I would like, and I love the purple night sky on the cover. 🙂
And of course I saw that they finally had a copy of Peter Pan and I thought the illustrations were so cute so I couldn’t pass it up to add it to my collection! Also even if I didn’t use my credit for it it would have only cost me a dollar so that was another reason to sway my decision.
Look at these illustrations! They’re just so cute!!! Look at Wendy! And the mermaids! ❤
I love that Tinkerbell has a little acorn hat, and…uhum, does captain hook think his sword is a broomstick or something? XD XD XD Why is he posed like that?? I just thought it was hilarious; I love it so much! 😛
- Top Ten Tuesday-Holiday Reads
- Bookending Winter #1 (Hosting)
- Bookending Winter #2 (Hosting)
- Bookending Winter #3 (Hosting)
- Bookending Winter #4 (Hosting)
- Top Ten Tuesday-Winter TBR
- WIP Update #6/My WIP in Gifs Tag?
- Top Ten Tuesday-Books I Hope To Find Under the Tree
- Wrapping My TBTB Secret Santa Gift?
- 12 Days of Bookmas Tag-Bookending Winter #5 (Participating)
- New Year’s Eve Tag-Bookending Winter #6? (Participating)
- Survive Bookending Winter! XD I really need to finish all my posts’ drafts already.
- Just survive blogging in December in general, on top of all the other things I’m doing. As you can see, I have a LOT of posts planned, and none of them are scheduled yet. O.o
- Oh ALSO I almost forgot I’m going to be interviewed by Clo on her blog for Novel Newcomers on December 30! And I still need to answer her Q’s before the 27th, so that another thing I gotta do, but I’m looking forward to it! 😛
I’m really hoping to finish the first draft during my hosting days for Bookending Winter, so then since my posts will already be written all I’ll have to worry about is blog hopping to everyone that does them and maybe I’ll be able to focus on writing again on those mornings. I’m SO close to the end and if I can just take a couple of days to get it done and not have to worry about much else hopefully I can. I hope I’ll have most of my Christmas wrapping and other little projects done by then too, and after I’m done with writing my book I can focus on reading the books I need to get done before January in the last two weeks of the year. 😛
- DON’T STRESS OUT TOO MUCH!
- Finish making a garland for my room/Bookending Winter post and take pics!
- Go to our town’s Christmas parade like we did last year?
- Finish Christmas shopping, wrap gifts and mail the ones I need to before the 17th!
- Clean living room and put up the big tree in there cuz we STILL haven’t done that yet.
- Turn in the angel tree kids’ presents we bought to Salvation Army.
- Finish annotating the book I need to for a friends’ Christmas present, cuz I know that’s gonna take me a while. O.o
- Watch all the Christmas movies that are on my list this year!
- Make solid plans for my birthday and invite people?
- Start working on my 2020 bujo pages? I seriously doubt that’s going to happen until literally the last minute though…XD
- Plan ahead for what blog posts I want to do in January? Or at least think about it…
Dang I have a LOT to do this month, but such is the holiday season. 😛
I really want to get the Last of August done because it’s set during December I think, and Again but Better is for my book club. Libby has audiobooks for Again but Better and Go Set A Watchman available so I’m hoping I can read along with them to help me get through them faster if I can’t get to them until last few days. 🙂
All credit goes to the authors of the images.
What Do You Think?: